Re: Exim authentication

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:44:57PM -0700, Mike Mimic wrote:

| How can I set that user should login for SMTP the same
| as for POP3? So he should use the same username and
| password as for POP3 (that is the user linux account
| username and password).

This is not easy to do directly, and is flaky at best.  The whole
POP-before-SMTP concept is based on
    1)  the user does SMTP before the timeout after POPing
    2)  the user keeping the same IP address until after the timeout
    3)  no other (malicious) user obtaining the "authenticated" IP
        during the window of opportunity.

Due to the inherent flaws in pop-before-smtp, Philip isn't about to
include direct support for it in exim.

Instead, exim supports SMTP AUTH.  That's what the authenticators are
for -- providing direct AUTHentication via the ESMTP protocol (see RFC
2554).  However, I have not dealt with that part of exim yet.  The
spec is very good (/usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt) and you can get
support from the exim-users mailing list.

HTH,
-D

--

Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/