Re: what if I have a 2nd cdrom drive?

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:07:11PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
( ... )
> Swifteax. Neateaux.

Are these words, and if so, what do they mean?

> OK, so I must do this myself.  OK, I make a link in /dev from hdd to
> cdrom2 then I make a directory in /, then I make a entry in
> /etc/fstab.  Is the user supposed to do all this by hand?

In principle, yes. Linux and especially Debian philosophy is: If I can well
do something by hand, why should I use a tool for it?

> Also what is the importance of noauto in fstab?  Doesn't that just
> cause the user to have to issue a mount command if he hasn't since
> last reboot, and ha wants to use the cdrom?  Or perhaps the
> maintainers don't power off like me every day e.g. lightning storms
> and sleepy time.

This often makes sense for CDROM and other removeable disks. You insert the
CD after booting and only after that yon can mount the device.
I think there is an automounter tool but I've never used it.

> I don't suppose there is any way to tell it that I have two
> cdroms so I can put two cd's in at once?

To your /etc/apt/sources.list, add two entries like this:

deb file:/cdrom/ stable (... or testing etc.)

Replace /cdrom with the mount points for your 2 CDROMs.

HTH, Joachim

--
Joachim Fahnenmüller
Lehrer für Mathematik und Physik