Re: Kernel Making

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 00:29, Larry Smith wrote:
> I managed to get a kernel built.
>
> I copied it to /boot
>
> I made a link to it in / (root)
>
> I added reference to the root link in lilo.
>
> I install lilo.
>
> When booting, I told lilo to load the new kernel.
>
> The computer printed a few dots to the screen, and
> hung.

What kernel version exactly? Did you make sure you selected the right
processor type, right choice of memory support and so on? This
shouldn't matter too much, but you never really know.

If you made it manually, did you "make zImage" or "make bzImage"? The
more recent kernels all seem to need bzImage if you compile in some
bits and pieces.

Does LILO come up with "Starting <name>....." or just with the dots? The
first would mean that it at least found something to load, just the
dots would be... well... strange.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!