Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 05:19, Andrew Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 11:27, ben wrote:
> > On Monday 17 June 2002 12:27 am, Andrew Fowler wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 02:22, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
[snip]
> No intention of retracting it.  But I will expand:  The above was in
> no-way meant to be a measure or comparison of quality, speed etc.
> between contractual support and enthusiasts' mailing lists.  I'd
> personally rather go with mailing lists any day BUT the one who's head
> is for the chop when things go wrong is often not (only) the admin, but
> the IT boss, and in my experience, they'd all rather have the safety net
> below them in the form of a support contract from a nice big company
> that even the board of managers have heard of (e.g. RH) !

You are right.  However, it's been my experience that, except
for a shining few really good ones, most "help desks" are mediocre
at best.  So that "safety net" usually is an expensive illusion.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |