Japanese under linux in general

At 11 Jun 2002 22:39:14 +0900,
marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:

>     Tatsuya> Select `ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP' with `dpkg-reconfigure
>     Tatsuya> locales' as root.  See also the file `/etc/locale.gen'.
>
> Does this work for most programs in general?
>
> For example, Evolution doesn't display Japanese characters on my
> system.  But I haven't fulled around with locales yet.

I tried Evolution (1.0.5-1) on my system, sid i386.  It can
display Japanese characters even if LC_ALL=C.

However, if I remove /usr/lib/locale/ja_JP.eucjp, then Japanese
characters are not displayed.  (/usr/lib/locale/ja_JP.eucjp is
created by `dpkg-reconfigure locales' or `locale-gen'.)

It seems that the locale data relates to Evolution.

    *

I tried to input Japanese characters via XIM with skkinput on
ja_JP.eucJP environment.

Unfortunately, when I input Japanese characters, Evolution often
has hang-up...  Also, Subject field is encoded with UTF-8 even if
I set `Default character encoding' to `Japanese (ISO-2022-JP)'.

So I can't recommend Evolution to Japanese users.

I tried KMail (2.2.2-14), but I can't see and input Japanese characters.

Sylpheed (0.7.7-1) seems OK.  Mozilla Mail & News
(mozilla-mailnews 1.0.0-1) also.

Emacsen mailer, Mew (2.2-4) and Wanderlust (wl 2.8.1-5) do work well
even if XIM is not available.

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita