Re: Mozilla 1.0

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 03:51, Oleg wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2002 10:12 pm, John Griffiths wrote:
> > >My theory is that others experience the same (after all, it's just ones
> > > and zeros, not weather forcasting), but everyone is afraid to speak up
> > > for political reasons, since Mozilla is thought of as IE's competitor on
> > > Windows.
> > >
> > >End of troll. Dictated, but not read. YMMV IFF you are a lying SOB :-)
> > >
> > >Oleg
> >
> > running on windows 98 with 512MB on a celleron 400 I can tell you it's
> > faster stabler and better than anything else out there.
> >
> > call me a liar at your peril
>
> Tell you what. When you are in Linux, do this:
>
> mkdir ~/test && cd ~/test
> for f in `seq 1 1000`; do touch ${f}.html; done
>
> Notice that `ls` takes no time at all (At least under Linux w/ ext2)
>
> Then start up your browser (Netscape 4.77 or Mozilla 0.9.9 in my case).
> Type "file:///home/you/test" in location, time!
>
> ----------My results------------------
> Mozilla - 9 seconds & 13 seconds
> Netscape - 3 seconds & 3 seconds
>
> (I repeated the whole experiment twice for each browser, starting them before
> and shutting them down after the experiment)
>
> HW: K6-2 550 w/ 256 MB (Java disabled in Netscape. Don't know about Mozilla -
> whichever way it comes on Woody)
>
> BTW, starting Mozilla also takes a while : 21 seconds
>
> One could argue that the real test for browsers is rendering remote web sites
> with some text and some graphics in them, but as I mentioned, it's also been
> my (this time subjective) experience that Mozilla is several times slower.

Feh. When Netscape 4.77 can do a fraction of the CSS that Mozilla can,
call me.

Until then it's a crufty memory-leaking slow-ass (just TRY loading a
huge thread on K5 or Slashdot with it) POS that randomly crashes on
complex layouts.

With dodgy CSS "support".

Gecko is WAY WAY faster at drawing pages than just about any other
engine out there - maybe Opera beats it, but that's proprietary and
closed.

Netscape Navigator is history, and thank goodness for that.

Take care,

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall