Re: howto manage programs compiled from source ???

[...]

Michael> It is also clear to me that such self compiled programs are not
Michael> known to the package management databases and, therefore, are
Michael> susceptible to being broken by subsequent package manager
Michael> installations, &c.

User compiled programs should be stuffed into /usr/local (or some
similar area), which the package manager shouldn't touch (much).

It may also be worth looking into the stow package:

,----
`----

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/