Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:07:12PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:24:27AM +0200, Ivo Wever wrote (slightly
> reformatted):
> > Sam wrote:
> >
> > >And here's a third - http://www.vicnet.net.au/~rpds/
> > >
> > >There are 50 elderly/disabled people in the state of Victoria in
> > >Australia who get their Internet access through a Debian box. All are
> > >members of the Rural Peninsula Disability Support group - they are
> > >provided computers and pay $11 Australian a month for three hours
> > >access per day. This is the kind of charitable project which can
> > >*never* afford costly server hardware or software - were it not for
> > >the Debian project, we would not be able to run something like this,
> >
> > I'm sorry, but this argument isn't valid as a defense for Debian in
> > particular. You could use any other linux distro for this server; I'm
> > certain you could find a similar project somewhere in the world where
> > someone uses Redhat or Suse or ...
>
> True. But Sam uses Debian. He (apparantly) chose to. Lots of other
> people have chosen Debian over the other alternatives. The reasons for
> his choice are not necessarily related to elderly people. It could be
> freedom, stability, ease of maintenance, performance, price, openess,
> the nice logo or whatever...

We have a P133 with two one-gig drives as our server. My experiences with Red Hat have not
exactly filled me with confidence. Slackware would have been okay but upgrading
even a single package takes a lot of time - which I, as a father of two (including
a teenage daughter) - and a full-time job don't really have. I have to
administer this box remotely on a 56k line (which is all that I can afford).
Debian has done an admirable job for us for nearly three years now.

> > Frankly I am appalled by someone trying to use an emotional argument,
> > involving elderly disabled people, to support Debian.
>
> Using an emotional argument is not necessarily a bad thing (elderly
> people or not). Debian *is* different, *because* of the emotions built
> into the social contract. After all, freedom can very much be considered
> emotional...

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was trying to bring emotion into the
discussion - I was merely stating facts. No matter what motivation the
developers have, at the ground level there are some very human, true stories.

> > I guess we should rethink Debian if it turned out some neo-nazi group
> > used our software on their servers?
>
> Of course not. And I'm not willing to rethink Debian even when elderly
> people use it.

Quite often these old folk thank me and the other volunteers who help at the
project - and a lot of the credit, frankly, belongs elsewhere. I just thought it
was an appropriate thread to pass along some of the credit to those whom it is
really due.

Sam
--
Sam Varghese