Re: Software work-around for broken BIOS clock?

On Friday 07 June 2002 01:55 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 06:28:27PM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote (slightly
>
> reformatted):
> > * Karl E. Jorgensen (karl@jorgensen.com) wrote:
> > > Problem: I have a machine that keeps loosing it's CMOS settings.
> > > Changing battery works - for a couple of weeks.
> >
> > Just a guess: your quickly-discharging battery suggests a
> > high-resistance or intermittent ground somewhere.  Maybe you should
> > take the box apart (completely) and have a close look?
>
> Been there :-) Last time I changed the battery, I had a good look around
> inside it, but I didn't find anything I didn't expect to. Sherlock
> Holmes could probably have dated the machine merely based on the
> thickness of the dust layer.
>
> I doubt whether the dust could have caused it though - it still has the
> problem after a bit of cleaning.

whether dust or anything else, something just ain't right if you're sucking
the life out of a lithium battery every couple of weeks. maybe the battery
socket is hosed. how old is the board? if there are jumper pins near the
socket, check to see that they're intact. make sure that the jumpers are set
correctly. next time you get to pulling a battery, swab the area around the
contacts with alcohol and let it evaporate before you replace the it. those
batteries should last for at least half a year.

ben