Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

ben wrote:

On Friday 31 December 1999 04:03 pm, Frank Brodbeck wrote:
Hello everybody.
I'm having over here great trouble. The following is my cruel fate:

<snip about Western Digital drives that keep exhibiting the "Western Digital Knock of Death">

My co-workers and I have seen (or actually "heard") a lot of this over the past four or five years. The Gateway computers we purchased came with Western Digital drives. Accordingly, we've pretty much developed an attitude against this brand. (NOTE: We haven't seen the problems so much in the past year or so, so either the drives have improved, or the cause of the problem has decreased.) About the best guess we can make for the cause of the failures other than poor design is "brown" power. Several of the failed drives are in a building known for power problems.

Is your computer on the same circuit as a large sucker of electrons, like a refridgerator, air conditioner, space heater, copy machine, etc? If you can get hold of a power analyzer, put it between the computer and the wall socket for a couple of days to monitor the line quality. You might want to invest in an Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Kent