Kills Linux hdd's?

Hello everybody.
I'm having over here great trouble. The following is my cruel fate:

Everything started a good year ago. It was ca. the start-up of my
'Linux-at-home career' and also the first time, one of my harddrives
died a - to me - mysterious death. At this time I often switched from
linux to Windows and vice versa. More about the 'mysterious death' of
my harddrive. It was a Quantum Fireball with about 14 GByte of capacity
and a slot A AMD Athlon on a Epox EP-7KXA Mainboard. All worked pretty
fine and then suddenly I heard this strange sound from my harddrive.
It twanged like the read/write header of the hdd would somehow hang.
First of all, the system just froze for several seconds but after
short time the system started to freeze completely after such events and
also the frequency of these sounds increased rapidly. For then I just
believed the onboard IDE Controller of my motherboard would be
damaged. So a new mainboard came and also a new cpu. I changed to an
Asus A7V-E with a AMD Duron upon it. The harddisk was a Western Digital
with 20 GByte capacity. I began to increase my work on linux - mainly
struggling with getting the system configured :) - and let me say, about
almost half a year again this strange sound came from my beloved WD hdd.
Concerned about this new shocking event I went to my retailer to make
use of my warranty. Now I got this new hdd. A WD 40GByte diskspace. She
lasted from October last year till a few days ago. She still is at work
but only because there is no working hdd around and I am not willed
to buy any new until I know where damages came from. Oh, I forgot,
due to power blackout - a worker drilled right through the power cable -
my AMD Duron died and I'm having a new system since three weeks now.
It's a dual Intel Celeron 533 installed on a Abit BP6 Board.
Rememberring, that I had lost documents of a high priority for me on
my first hdd that gave this horrible concert I tried to rescue some
data. Well, I wasn't able to rescue the important stuff but at least
some personal data. Since the day I attached this old hdd to my system my
WD 40 GByte sings the song of destruction. You know what I mean, this
strange sound that twangs like a read/write header of a harddisks got
stuck. Friends of mine, interested in hardware but not all really
familiar with the stuff and also Microsoftlovers keep on telling me
'Linux is the source of all evil'.

I'm pretty unused to make real analyzes and so I hope that someone
could tell me how to find the source that leads to those hdd damages.
Could it be a unlucky hardware setting of mine?

Frank

--
			$ Hello World!
		      $ I am [Ff]rank ;)