Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 01:03:57AM +0100, Frank Brodbeck wrote:
> my harddrive. It was a Quantum Fireball with about 14 GByte of capacity

I've never had a Fireball last more than a year, Windows or Linux.

> to buy any new until I know where damages came from. Oh, I forgot,
> due to power blackout - a worker drilled right through the power cable -
> my AMD Duron died and I'm having a new system since three weeks now.

Nasty power spike likely killed the last drive, then.  You might
consider a line conditioner or backup power supply.  APC makes good
ones.  Of course this brings up another question:  Is your power supply
reliable?  Electronics get *really* tweaky when power is played with.

> stuck. Friends of mine, interested in hardware but not all really
> familiar with the stuff and also Microsoftlovers keep on telling me
> 'Linux is the source of all evil'.

Well, yeah, they're under Satan's influence, of course they're going to
try and smear something that gives you reliablity, is flexible, and
respects your freedom.

--
Baloo