login troubles

    Hey people,

    Recently my router/firewall has been showing some strange behaviour. When
it's first booted, it seems to have some problems checking passwords with the
ssh daemon. I can login with my account that has a key installed on it, so
it's key confirmation instead of checking the shadow-password file. Once I
login that way, my wife can login using ssh and her installed password in
/etc/shadow. However, before a successful login it seems incapable of checking
passwords.

    What gives? Any ideas would help.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix