Re: High density text on console

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 04:58:15PM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:
| > > graphics-based.  Look at fb/vesafb.txt.gz instead.  You can also try
| > > the tridentfb driver, but I think it is brand new and not stable yet.
|
| And with the speed of tridents, pushing molasses through a drinking straw
| might be faster.

Maybe.  I've only seen some old Tridents and haven't tried playing
with X on them.

| I played around with SVGATextMode.
|
| Tried my trident, an S3 Virge 375, a matrox Millenium, and an ATI Rage II
| based card.  I'd try a nice new card, but this old pentium 120 doesn't
| have AGP.

Matrox cards are supposed to be really good.  There's also a
framebuffer specifically for the matrox cards, and I think it's one of
the stablest ones.

| None of them can push a high enough pixel clock, to drive the monitor.
|
| > I use framebuffers on the console at 1864x1400 in 60 Hz, and (more
| > often) 1600x1200 at 60 Hz. I prefer to waste real screen estate on a
| > nice font though (Sun12x22).
|
| I think I'm going to hit my monitor limit, this is a 14", that runs ...
| well, walks, at 1024x768 on a good day.
|
| Even with a better monitor substituted(15" TTX 8570), I still can't get
| the pixel clock.
|
| Any bigger of a monitor defeats the purpose of this, which is to make my
| text even smaller.
|
| I suspect I should find a non-technological solution to people wandering
| in my office and reading my screen and bothering me while I'm trying to
| work.

Oh, that's the problem?  You're looking for one of those "glare"
shields that prevents viewing from any angle other than dead-on.

Anyways, with 1280x1024 and the default font (I don't know how to
change it ...) on my 17" CRT monitor I really need my glasses on to
read it.  I think some of it might be due to the fuzziness of the CRT
(a flat-panel would be much better, but costs too much).  I get this
much text on the screen :
$ stty size
64 160

HTH,