To: Simon Read <simon@formasic.com>
From: John Coffman <johninsd@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Meaning of Undocumented LILO Warning

At 10:07 PM 05/26/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>John,
>
>The following warning is issued  from my LILO version.  The warning is
>not very  explanatory, and (even  though it's a warning)  evokes fear,
>uncertainty and doubt.
>
>Warning: Int 0x13 function 8unction 8 and function 0x48 return different
>head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80

I've answered this one on the Newsgroups.

1.  It is a warning, and it means literally what it says:  two bios calls
which are expected to return the same values, instead, return different
results.

2.  There is nothing within LILO you can do about it.

3.  As with other warnings, it can be suppressed with "nowarn" (-w).

4.  The good news is that EDD function 48h is supported; meaning that EDD
packet calls are probably supported, too, and the default "lba32"
addressing will work.

>Would you  either: document the warning, suppress it or  change it to
>explain what the  user can do to fix the problem  it suggests?  If you
>would like to explain it I can probably come up with text for you.
>
>I'd    also    like   to    be    able    to    post   something    to
>debian-user@debian.lists.org about this, as it seems to be a FAQ.
>
>The version of LILO I'm using is:
>
>LILO version 22.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
>Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2001 John Coffman
>Released 05-Feb-2002 and compiled at 20:57:26 on Apr 13 2002.

This warning first appeared in version 22 (22.0).

Within the LILO distribution there is no comprehensive list of warnings,
cautions, or fatal errors, with suggested remedies.  You suggest a good
project for my TODO list.

Debian maintains better than average support pages, and I hope you will add
my comments to them.

- --John

		PGP encrypted e-mail preferred (www.pgpi.com)
		My KeyID: E97AE783  (good until 31-Dec-2002)
		Keyserver at http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html
		LILO 22.3 source code at http://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------- End of Forwarded Message