Re: lost route (network unreachable)

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:04:03AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> For a few days now, I haven't been able to reach a few of the servers on
> my network. Every time I try to connect to one, I get an error that
> includes the message "network is unreachable."
> When I run netstat -r, all the hosts that I can't reach appear as
> follows:
>
> hostname.mydomain.com   255.255.255.255 !H      - -     - -
>
> The !H is under the "flags" column... unfortunately, I have no idea what
> that flag means, if anything.

The "H" flag indicates that the route is to a specific host. Obviously,
255.255.255.255 is not a valid host address.

> I tried running route add -host hostname.mydomain.com (though I have no
> idea if that's supposed to work or not) and get the following:
>
> SIOCADDRT: No such device
>
> I've got a static IP on my machine and other people with static IPs can
> reach said hosts.
>
> Any ideas?

It'd be interesting to see what "netstat -nr" outputs; the -n option
reveals IPs as numeric.

Other than that, consider what might have changed in the days since the
problem has been manifesting, specifically where there any DNS and other
networking related changes?

-Andy