problem compiling links with ssl

I am trying to compile links-2.0pre3 with ssl and javascript. The reason for
doing this is that i am blind and can not use cwindows and am trying to find at
least some way of dealing with javascript. I normally use lynx as a browser, but
want to try links because it has some ability to deal with javascript.
I have libssl and openssl (both 0.9.6) on my woody system but links insists
there's no openssl when it checks for it during the ./configure. the format i'm
using is
./configure --enable-javascript --with-ssl=/usr/lib
I also tried this without a directory which got me an error and with /etc/ssl
which got me again no openssl. Are there other packages I need in order to
compile something with ssl?
I did try apt-get for libssl0.9.6 and was told I had the newest version.
Thanks.