Loadlin error Q

I just rebuilt my Woody kernel, 2.2.xx -> 2.4.18 , ran dpkg, selected a
floppy but No HDD installation, and then copied

     /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18

to my loadlin drive, and set loadlin to use the new kernel.

Loadlin came up with an error "Invalid format -- error - 1 -- system
halted."

Same thing with the boot floppy.

I switched loadlin back to the previous 2.2.xx kernel, and everything
was fine.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Could it be (a) wrong processor (b)
misidentified card (c) some selected item [such as parport] not set up
properly?

Should I try to rebuild by turning options off, until I find what is
wrong?

Or should I be looking elsewhere entirely for the solution?

	- Mike