Re: GCJ and C/C++ applications how is it possible ?

On 2002.05.23 08:55 dman wrote:
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:11:29AM +0200, Pac wrote:
| Le 22/05/02 à 23:54, dman a écrit:

| dman> | See this from http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/changes.html :
| dman> |
| dman> | " # JNI and CNI invocation interfaces were implemented, so
gcj-compiled Java code can now be called from a C/C++ application.
| dman>
| dman> I didn't know that.  That's a good feature to have.  I guess
you'll
| dman> have to RTFM the gcc docs to find out what that API is.  Maybe
it
| dman> works just like compiling a C++ library except that you'll be
missing
| dman> the C++ header files (unless it can generate them too).
|
| on http://gcc.gnu.org/java/docs.html there is no manual
| only a FAQ but I will read the different articles.

Read that part of the FAQ again (#6.2) :
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2001-q2/msg00224.html

:-)

| dman> | dman> For GTK+ you can take a look at
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/.
| dman> |
| dman> | thank you
| dman> | I will read this
| dman>
| dman> Does your GTK+ app already exist in C/C++?  If not, then you
can use

| no.
|
| dman> java-gnome to write your app in Java and use the java libs
directly.

| it seems to be a better idea I will probably take this way.

| By the way do you know if a GTK+ component has been made to
| encapsulate a minimal canvas tu use EVAS ?

I don't know what EVAS is, and I'm not sure if GTK+ itself has a
canvas, but I know that GNOME has a canvas widget.

As does Java (java.awt.Canvas).

BTW, you may encounter a performance hit when using Java-GNOME. I haven't actually tested it, but Java-GNOME uses JNI to communicate with C GTK+ widgets, so I would be surprised if performance is as good as using the GTK+ widgets directly.

HTH,
Ian