Re: New Debian user - a bunch of problems

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:59:10AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:06:34PM -0500, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
>
> > Before I begin, I want to state that I'm very impressed with Debian.
>
> Rock on!  But could you please turn your line wraps on to 72 columns?

Heh. Not on that computer.  My mail's been down so I had to borrow one.
I can't find out how to set line wrap on Mutt.

> > 1) I can't get X to work right.  It installed fine, and starts ok.
> > But screen resolution is something like 640x480 when it's supposed to
> > be 1152x864.  I have xfree86 4.1.0-16 installed.  Any suggestions will
>
> Did you configure it for this?  If so, try hitting
> alternate-control-plus

It doesn't do anything. ½­°¹ÿŸžI did finally get it going.  I found the refresh rates on the
IBM web site.

Hrumph... Mutt and I just don't get along.

As I was saying before Mutt went nuts; I found the monitor refresh rates on the
IBM home page.  I tweaked some other things, and it's working now.  I can't
get the resolution above 1152x864.  Actually that's what I had it set on the
Red Hat box, but at the same resolution everything shows larger on the Debian
install.

> > 2). The mouse is going nuts.  When I move it around it does all kinds
> > of weird things, including acting like I've pressed one of the 3
> > buttons when I haven't, or sen't kill commands to fvwm, etc.  I have a
> > Logitech M-C48 wheel mouse.  If any of you have the console and X
> > settings for it, I'd appreciate it.
>
> You didn't configure the mouse correctly.  Are you using gpm?

Yes.  I had the wrong driver.  Apparently Logitech with a mouse wheel
takes the Microsoft imps2 driver.  It's working fine now.

> > 4) I can't send mail.  I've installed sendmail, largely because I've
> > been using it for years, and this is a production box.  I don't have
> > time right now to learn another MTA.  When I try to send mail using
> > Mutt, which I've never used, it keeps giving me excuses as to why the
> > operating system won't allow it to send mail.  The latest excuse is:
> > "Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
> > /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory"
>
> No clue on sendmail.  exim configures cleanly right out of the box.  I
> would ditch sendmail in favor of exim.

Ok.  How do I map users to virtual domains?  Sendmail lets you do that through
a virtusertable file in the format:

me@mydomain	username
you@yourdomain	your-other@email.address.com

Glen