Re: New Debian user - a bunch of problems

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:06:34PM -0500, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

> Before I begin, I want to state that I'm very impressed with Debian.

Rock on!  But could you please turn your line wraps on to 72 columns?

> 1) I can't get X to work right.  It installed fine, and starts ok.
> But screen resolution is something like 640x480 when it's supposed to
> be 1152x864.  I have xfree86 4.1.0-16 installed.  Any suggestions will

Did you configure it for this?  If so, try hitting
alternate-control-plus

> 2). The mouse is going nuts.  When I move it around it does all kinds
> of weird things, including acting like I've pressed one of the 3
> buttons when I haven't, or sen't kill commands to fvwm, etc.  I have a
> Logitech M-C48 wheel mouse.  If any of you have the console and X
> settings for it, I'd appreciate it.

You didn't configure the mouse correctly.  Are you using gpm?

> 3) Is there a way to get Pine to work on Debian?  I can't find a
> package for it, so I installed a Pine rpm using alien.  It installed

Pine is non-free to the point that redistributing modified binaries
breaks the licensing.  apt-get install pine-tracker.  It'll let you know
when a new pine comes out, and gives you the instructions on how to
compile your own debianized pine.  This is a Pine bug, not a Debian one.
8:o)

> 4) I can't send mail.  I've installed sendmail, largely because I've
> been using it for years, and this is a production box.  I don't have
> time right now to learn another MTA.  When I try to send mail using
> Mutt, which I've never used, it keeps giving me excuses as to why the
> operating system won't allow it to send mail.  The latest excuse is:
> "Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
> /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory"

No clue on sendmail.  exim configures cleanly right out of the box.  I
would ditch sendmail in favor of exim.

> 5) I run several MyPHPNuke boards on some domains I host.  When I try
> to access the domains, instead of opening the site, it downloads the
> file instead.  Apparently it can't figure out that it's supposed to
> execute PHP.  I have PHP4 installed.  Suggestions?

I vaguely remember having to change my apache configs to deal with this
bug when I started hosting ww3.foxcub.net...

--
Baloo