Re: potato->woody upgrade problems (mostly fixed)

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 10:26:12PM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:
> apt-get dist-upgrade died while configuring gcc-doc with the message
> perl: libc6: version GLIBC_2.2 not found - needed by libdb.so.3.
> attempting 'apt-get -f install' failed with the same  message.
> I installed libc6 from /var/cache/apt using dpkg and 'apt-get -f
> install' worked again.

Just to avoid this type of problem, I always install woody version of
apt by:

# apt-get install apt

first, before doing real massive "dist-upgrade".  It pulls glibc 2.2 and
new perl and libdb.so...   But no large X programs.

> I set up my system with a 1G / partition.  Apparently this is not
> sufficient for a successful dist-upgrade.  I now have to re-download
> 300M because I had to do an 'apt-get clean' when I ran out of space.
> Can /var/cache/apt/archives be a symlink?

I think so too.  I even saw few previous posting mounting
/var/cache/apt/archives from different machine by NFS.

> Installing konsole failed because it shared its 16x16 icon file with
> (the old version of) kdebase.  A dpkg -i --force-overwrite got it
> installed (but not configured) and 'apt-get -f install' cleaned up
> afterwards.

"testing" sometimes has broken dependency which requires packages from
"unstable".  Read "man apt_preferences" once you install woody version of
apt.

> Debconf really really needs a 'back' button, not just dpkg-reconfigure.
> Which package do I reconfigure to fix my monitor settings?  Aha,
> xserver-svga is it.  Hmm, that should have been replaced by
> xserver-xfree86 in the woody upgrade, no?

File a wishlist bug report (may be there already :)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +