Re: Pentium Freezes (Potato)

crispin@iinet.net.au writes:

> I had heaps of problems installing Debian (or any linux) on my HP
> Vectra VL. I bought it second hand and it had been set up with
> windows on it. My problems were solved by...
>
> 1) Changing the BIOS setup. PNP - no. Standard app - Yes. Some
> others I think
>
> 2) Using the 3c59x driver for the ethernet device.
>
> Then everything works fine. If this is hows its set and your still
> having probs, then it could be hardware.

Unfortunatly there is no PNP option in my Vectra BIOS. However, I did
flash the BIOS with an update from HP/Phoenix but still the problem
persists. I'm also not running SCSI on it. The only card I have in it
is the NIC - an older Netgear NE2000 clone I bought at Frey's for $5.

What's funny is that the system is freezing somewhat sporatically in
that it sometimes froze while compiling utils-linux but later threw an
oops with SIG 11 (are we still supposed to send these to Linus?)  and
later ld just plain seg faulted (ld caused the oops with sig 11).

My next venture is to download HP's troubleshooting disk and see
if that helps any. Thank you for all your help.

Cheers! Elizabeth