Re: list all packages that are installed

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, csj wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:09:59 -0800
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > It's a shell trick.

It's a shell trick if you're using a Bourne-style shell, like bash, ksh,
or such. :)

> > You can set an environment variable for the _current process_ by
> > specifying it first on the command line.  I usually exploit it to get a
> > date/time for some other location, e.g.:
> >
> >     $ TZ=Australia/Sydney date
> >     $ TZ=UK/London date
>
> This doesn't work on my system:
>
> TZ=Australia/Sydney date
> TZ=Australia/Sydney: Command not found.

I suspect you're using tcsh; if so, a roughly equivalent command line
would be:

(setenv TZ Australia/Sydney; date)

The parens start a subshell, creating a sort of "bubble" for setenv so
it doesn't change your timezone to Sydney's for the rest of your
session. Admittedly, not as nice as the above trick.

But I still use tcsh anyway. :p

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  Buster, it may come as a complete surprise to
ahall@vitaphone.net    :  you to find that _this_ is an animated cartoon.

Macintosh/UNIX Geek, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.