Re: (OT) A strange situation ... Could somebody help

* shyamk (shyamk@eth.net) spake thusly:
> A strange client arrived with a stranger set of requests
> (at a time when I am cash-starved) . He dropped the following
> ideas over phone (perhaps his requirements -or- modus - operandi.
>
> He said he wanted VB -on- Solaris !

Vmware should be able to do that.

> SNMP , Distributed Battery Charging, RS485 something,
> status recording , and
> strangest of all he did not want a database !
> He simply wanted to record all this in a text file !

That's fine, plain text is still the best data interchange
format for many applications. If he doesn't need to run lots
of queries on the data, he doesn't need a DB.

> I know that SNMP is a "Network Management Protocol" , but can recall
> nothing beyond that.

SNMP consists of a database (tree), called Management Information
Base (MIB), and the protocol that defines 3 operations: get, set
and trap (the last one's "signal" -- generated by server when
a condition occurs).

On the software side, there's an agent that monitors $THING,
daemon that provides access to data colected by the agent,
and client software. If your client wants to use existing
MIBs, that's not too hard. If he wants a custom MIB and agent,
you probably don't want his money.

Dima