(OT) A strange situation ... Could somebody help

A strange client arrived with a stranger set of requests
(at a time when I am cash-starved) . He dropped the following
ideas over phone (perhaps his requirements -or- modus - operandi.

He said he wanted VB -on- Solaris !
SNMP , Distributed Battery Charging, RS485 something,
status recording , and
strangest of all he did not want a database !
He simply wanted to record all this in a text file !

Could somebody in the know of things kindly explain to me
what all this is about.I am a debian user and have heard
of some people using VB (of M$ !) on Debian GNU/Linux.

Obviously the man does not want things on any of the GNU/Linuxes ,
but I am thinking in terms of how the whole thing can be done on both
Solaris and Debian GNU/Linux .

I know that SNMP is a "Network Management Protocol" , but can recall
nothing beyond that.

I shall appreciate any help and guidance.

Thanks and Regards,
Shyam

--

"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder."