Re: GNU parted and ext3

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 01:13:18 -0800
Calyth <calyth@shaw.ca> wrote:
> It seems that they don't mix well.
> Here's the problem.
> I want to resize the FAT and ext3 partition on my laptop because FAT
> is truly fatter than the ext3 and linux actually could use a bit more
> space. So I wanted to do fair game and manage to shrink the FAT
> partition. Somehow parted cannot resize the ext3 partition so that it
> will take the empty space that FAT has released (ext3 is the partition
> right after FAT [spatially]) I'm thinking of removing the journal (the
> parted boot floppy doesn't have LILO), and then resize the drive, then
> put in the journal. I know how to put the journal back on but anyone
> knows how to remove the journal safely? Calyth

Perhaps a perusal of Parted docs will help. :) In other words, in the
Parted manual, you'll find that they explicitly state that Parted can
not (as yet) change the position of the start of an ext2/3 filesystem :)

You'll have to use another tool. There's no need to remove the journal,
in any case. It's just another file. So unless you're resizing this
partition while it's mounted read-write, you don't need to worry about
it.

Enjoy. :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \