GNU parted and ext3

It seems that they don't mix well.
Here's the problem.
I want to resize the FAT and ext3 partition on my laptop because FAT is truly fatter than the ext3 and linux actually could use a bit more space. So I wanted to do fair game and manage to shrink the FAT partition. Somehow parted cannot resize the ext3 partition so that it will take the empty space that FAT has released (ext3 is the partition right after FAT [spatially])
I'm thinking of removing the journal (the parted boot floppy doesn't have LILO), and then resize the drive, then put in the journal.
I know how to put the journal back on but anyone knows how to remove the journal safely?
Calyth