Re: NE2000 ISA

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:24:36PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> the fine manual. If not, you'll need the config utility (IIRC
> ne2k's weren't pnp, even the ne2k+ that claimed to be, so
> fscking around with isapnp won't get you anywhere).

Not being pnp, make them easier to install IMHO. I had to turn PnP on
for a ne2k card to work with WinXP, now that complicated things (recompiling
the kernel to support PnP, learn about isapnp etc).

> Either way, ne2k had a wide i/o port that overlapped with other
> devices' ports in most configurations (FVO "other devices" =
> sound card, floppy, ide and parallel port). Configuring them
> was a real PITA even if you had the manual and software.

Disagreed. Both my machines at home have ne2k isa.

To the OP: grap a floppy-bootable Etherboot ROM image at

http://www.rom-o-matic.net/5.0.5/

(try the "ne" driver)

Write that rom file to a 1440K floppy (720K, will NOT work)

dd if=[ne_rom_image.lzdsk] of=/dev/fd0

Try and boot with that floppy. It should display the io adress you need.

Good luck!