Re: Fwd: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

WordStar sure was the best.  Banged out many a term paper on a
KayPro II...

Some free advice:
- - links is better than lynx.  Supports frames.
- - The big thing I like GUIs for is for xterms.  Have as many
  open on your screen at once, resize them, hide them, scroll
  up, etc.  Much easier and more powerfull than Alt-Fx.
- - Use your char-mode programs inside these xterm windows.
- - Use a small window manager.  fvwm* comes to mind.  There are
  many others.  Since you want mostly char mode stuff, you don't
  need a BIG window manager/environment like GNOME/KDE.
- - mutt seems to be the Standard Debian Char Mode Email Client.
  Personally, I like pine better, but doesn't come in a binary
  package, and it is not intuitive how to build it from source.
- - www.freshmeat.net is your friend.  Lots of char-mode CD & MP3
  players.

On Friday 11 January 2002 03:18 pm, Mark Seven Smith wrote:
> Adam wrote:
> > BTW, what release are you installing? stable? testing?
>
> I installed "Woody" at the advice of the list, previously;
> since it was possible that the console problem had been
> fixed.  I've heard on the Red Hat list, people that said
> they would rather be using Debian, but that their video
> card is incompatible with it.
>
> Anyway, what you say here brings up another thing:
>
> I HAVE A DREAM: to someday be rid of my pernicious
> dependence on GUI's!!!
>
> I used to use a Z-80 CP/M system, (Remember DDT? "Kills
> Bugs dead!" ;-)  I was more productive on that system,
> using the simple text-based tools it had, than I have ever
> been in Windows.  Then, I believed that it was an
> "inalienable right" that a person receives development
> tools along with the OS, *whatever* OS it is.
>
> But then I was taken by a long-term illness; and now I come
> back to the world of computers, and find EEEEVIL: WINDOWS!
> AAAAAAAARGH!  Now, everything is different.  You can't even
> print a list of your files from Windows!  What is THAT all
> about?
>
> I want to do Email and all, from console.  So that when X
> screws up, I don't have to worry about my mailbox
> overflowing at my provider (who makes the mailbox fill
> faster by sending me "notifications" that my mailbox is
> going to overflow! ;-)
>
> I've used lynx; so what else should I know about?  What's a
> good Email client?  How I can I figure out "the Debian way"
> of doing the usual tasks, from the console?  (Play CD's,
> for instance, or listen to Internet radio, or MP3's, all of
> that).
>
> I would appreciate any & all ideas.
>
> Thanks!

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org       |
! "Millions of Chinese speak Chinese, and it's not           |
!  hereditary..."                                            |
!    Dr. Dean Adell(sp?)                                     !