Re: NE2000 ISA

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 02:27:04AM +0700, arief muLya wrote:

| I manage to install debian-potato 2.2r4 on a 486 PC, by removing the
| harddisk to a better machine. And then after get installed, I moved the
| harddisk back to the 486.

I did this too.

| At the 486, I've installed a NE2000 compatible (Chip says RTL8019) NIC
| that have managed to work at previous Mandrake Installation (by using
| kudzu to detect it).

Same thing (but mine's a netgear).

| The problem is, I can't just modprobe the module. They says if it's an
| ISA NE2000 Card, I need to give the right IO and IRQ setting when I
| modprobe/insmod the module.

Right.  ISA doesn't to PnP very well.

| At Mandrake time, I didn't take a good look at these settings, and it's
| getting to late and to loathe for me to install Mandrake again just to
| see the settings.
|
| I plan to get things installed by network connection, but I can't now
| because of the problem. Anyone able to help? Pointers? Clues?

My netgear card came with a DOS util to disable PnP in it and allow
setting of the IO and IRQ.  I don't have that machine on now (and it
takes ages to boot) but IIRC the base IO was 0x300 or 0x330.  You
might be able to get some data out of your system in /proc/<somehwere>
or using 'pnpdump' (I think it's called).  Alternatively you can just
start trying addresses.  There's about 4 common base IO addresses I've
seen.

HTH,
-D

--

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.