Re: /etc/hosts

6/21/2002 8:59:25 PM, Marc Barnett <marc@solid.net> wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 08:56:56PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
>> The only line I have now in the file is:-
>> 	127.0.0.1   <machine name>.clara.co.uk   <machine name>
>
>Change this to:
>
>127.0.0.1 localhost <machine name>.clara.co.uk <machine name>
>
>or alternatively
>
>127.0.0.1 localhost
>
>> Trying to ping localhost now says 'unknown host host' and pinging
>> localhost says 'unknown host localhost' and this was not the case
>> before I changed /etc/hosts. I've never understood how loopback
>> works and have assumed 127.0.0.1 was how all machines refer to
>> themselves.
>
>127.0.0.1 does always refer the machine to itself[1], but humans use
>"localhost".  Such translations need to occur in the /etc/hosts file
>(or in DNS, but that's secondary to your problem)
>
>> After a couple of years being mystified by FQDN's I thought at long
>> last I did understood - now I just don't know.
>
>Fully Qualified Domain Name, it's the name used to get your IP from
DNS
>without using or requiring local assumptions.
>
>For instance "www.debian.org" is "klecker.debian.org" and both are
the
>FQDN. "klecker" is enough to get to the machine from itself or other
>machines configured to assume "debian.org" but the full name is
required
>to get to it from the rest of the world.
>
>1: Assuming you have a lo device and it's configured, etc, etc... Too
>much complication doesn't do anything but muddle the answer.
>

>--
listmaster@lists.debian.org

	Sorry, real newbie and don't get it still.  I'm on a dialup to ISP
and have dynamically assigned FQDN.  If I enter my email name with
the ISP's name and domain I'm sure it won't be appreciated.   If I enter
in etc/hosts:    127.0.0.1  fakename. org
	-then my email "From:" line is going to read  "fakemail.com" isn't
it?   And DNS will not be the wiser.   (I can reach the list now because
I'm running from NT; can receive mail in Debian Elm but not reach the
outer world without a valid FQDN.)

	Likewise in Exim.conf:  what is my:
		primary_hostname=
		qualify_domain=