Re: apcupsd broken since conversion Debian 2.0 -> 3.0

<quote who="Chris Evans">

> Odd.  Anyone else seen this?  Anyone got any advice?

I have not used apcupsd but I may be able to offer some tips:

- check to see which userid apcupsd is running as, maybe it
is running as non-root in 3.0(maybe it was running as root
in 2.2) and cannot get access to the device. in which case I
would add the user to the dialout group that's the fastest
way to get that user access.

- install minicom, configure it using minicom -s, and set the
comport settings to 2400/8/N/1. Go to the modem/dialing options
screen and erase all the settings so minicom does not send any
characters when it loads. set minicom to use the port your
UPS is on. Exit and restart minicom. you should be able to
hit the 'j' key and the UPS will respond with how many minutes
of runtime is left, other keys like / to list battery packs
and stuff will work too.

- I suppose it could be a bug in the package, since I have
not used it I don't know. but I do reccomend Network UPS
Tools(NUT), it is new in Debian 3.0(debian 2.2 debs are
available at the package maintainer's site). I like it best
because of the readonly CGI front end, so i can look at my
UPSs at a glance. At home I have 1 SmartUPS 1000RM, 1 Cyberpower
1500AVR, and 2 Cyberpower 900AVRs and I can see the status
of them all from 1 place(and not needing authentication to
see it). I have heavily modified one of the cgi scripts
so I can graph UPS stats in MRTG as well. NUT supports
a wide range of UPSs, so you can use a common software
program with many different UPSs. And of course it supports
the smart functions of the UPS like reporting load, temperature,
battery capacity, etc.

you can see what some of the sample information NUT provides
me with:
http://portal.aphroland.org/ (my 2 cyberpower 900s are not accessable
since the system that reports for them is down ATM)
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/smartups1k/
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/cyberpower1500/
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/temperature/ (this data is reported from a
Measure UPS II connected to my SmartUPS 1000RM)

I am thinkin that acupsd runs as a non root user now compared
to before it possibly ran as root and therefore doesn't have access
to the device. Network UPS tools runs as a non root user and I
have to add that user to the dialout group for it to communicate
with the UPS.

good luck

nate