Re: [DEB-USER] Re: *** I BADLY WANT OUT !!!!!!!!!*** (unsubscribe)

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:05:03AM +0100, Nick wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:05:55 +0930, Tom Cook wrote:

> >> WRONG.
> >>
> >> You need to send an email with NO SUBJECT, BUT WITH A MESSAGE BODY
> >> containing the single word "unsubscribe".
> >>
> >> OK ?
> >
> >Huh?  In direct contradiction to the bit of advice at the end of each
> >email?
>
> Good point !  It does say that.
>
> So I just checked the "Welcome" mails I get every time I subscribe to
> this list (I unsubscribe & resubscribe fairly regularly - I just can't
> cope with the volume all the time).
>
> On 21st.May my welcome mail said :
>
>    To unsubscribe from this list, send "unsubscribe" in the
>    message body
>    (the subject should be blank) to:
> 	<listname>-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>    and you will be removed.
>
> whereas on 31st.July the welcome mail said :
>
>    To unsubscribe from this list, send "unsubscribe" in the
>    message subject
>    to:
> 	<listname>-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>    and you will be removed after your confirmation reply has
>    been received.
>
> So something has silently changed ... hmmm ...
>
> Be that as it may, *whenever* I subscribe or unsubscribe from Debian
> lists, I always play safe and send a mail with just the command word
> in *both* the subject line *and* the message body.
>
> Works for me :)
>
> Good luck.
>
> [PS: I make sure there is _nothing_ else in the message body -
> especially no signature - some mailing list packages get confused by
> such stuff.]

Excellent analysis.

I just sent a "which paulf@quillandmouse.com" command to:

majordomo@lists.debian.org

I got back a response that confirms this list is running on majordomo.
That being the case (and assuming no one has massively hacked the
program), it is correct to send majordomo commands in the _body_ of
emails, _not_ the subject. Majordomo for the most part ignores the
subjects of emails.

So the instructions at the bottom of these emails (and the "help" email
you get from the listserv, and the intro email you get when signing up)
are wrong.

List admin, are you listening?

BTW, with majordomo commands, if you put the word "end" on a line by
itself after whatever command you're issuing (like "unsubscribe"), you
can have all the signatures you want below that. The word "end"
signifies to majordomo that nothing below it is a command, and it will
ignore anything there.

Paul