LOCKUP in 2.4 on Dual Xeon, SuperTrak6000 (I2O)

Dear Debian User,

I have problems on a Dual Xeon, Intel SE7500CW2 Server Board and a Promise SuperTrak 6000 RAID card.

On running Kernel 2.4.18 with I2O for the RAID-Card, I can boot the system from the SuperTrak Card, but the system just locks up every now and then (NO error message, NO Crtl-Alt-Del, just a Hardware-Reboot).

[Q] Does anybody have a stable (non LockingUp) Kernel running on a Dual Xeon box?

On trying to use Kernel 2.2.19 with I2O I am unable to boot from the SuperTrak Card, or actually it can't find ROOT. The I2O gives me thereby a lot of errors as it can't find drives on block 50. The I2O in Kernel 2.4 on the other hand maps the I2O drives onto block 80 (i.e. mknod /dev/i2o/hda b 80 0).
I tried to create the corresponding /dev/i2o/hda for the 2.2 kernel (mknod /dev/i2o/hda b 50 0), but it did not work.

[Q] Does anybody know: Was there a change in the I2O version between Kernel 2.2 and 2.4?
[Q] How can I get the I2O in kernel 2.2 to map the drives onto block 80?

I tried to compile Kernel 2.5.29 but on compiling the I2O modules it complains about an "#enter..." entry in the  i2o*.c source-files.

[Q] Did somebody compiled the 2.5.x kernel with I2O modules?
[Q] And if yes, what has to be changed in the i2o*.c source codes?

I would appreciate any help, also if there is a way to get a stable 2.4 kernel up and running on a Dual Xeon system !!

Thanks
Johannes