Re: repartitioning safely [was Re: backup of changed files]

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 00:10, Torrin wrote:
> $ df -h
> /dev/hda5             1.9G   84M  1.8G   4% /
> /dev/hda1              15M  1.3M   13M   9% /boot
> /dev/hda6             957M  496k  908M   0% /home
> /dev/hda7             957M   26M  883M   3% /var
>
> As you can see, my root partition is huge.  I want to shrink that down
> to 512MB and split the rest of it between /home and /var.  Is there a
> safe way to do this?

I received some help on this last month, so searching the list's
archives may provide you with some helpful information.

The tool you want to use is GNUs parted
(http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/).  I would read the documentation
over to make sure you understand how it works.  You're going to need
bootdisks, since you want to resize root, which you can grab from here
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/  You'll need both a partboot and
partroot disk image.

Then, basically, you'll want to resize / smaller, move /home down,
resize /home larger, move /var down, and resize /var larger.

Hope that helps,
Andrew