repartitioning safely [was Re: backup of changed files]

You're right.  I have already done this.  I thought it would be easier to
reinstall if I had a CD with only the changes on it.

Anyway, I really should have asked a different question.  What I
really want to do is repartiton the harddrive safely.

Right now it looks like this

$ df -h
/dev/hda5             1.9G   84M  1.8G   4% /
/dev/hda1              15M  1.3M   13M   9% /boot
/dev/hda6             957M  496k  908M   0% /home
/dev/hda7             957M   26M  883M   3% /var

As you can see, my root partition is huge.  I want to shrink that down
to 512MB and split the rest of it between /home and /var.  Is there a
safe way to do this?

--
http://www.torrin.net