Re: Dist Upgrade w/ Limited Disk Space (was: warning for potato-users: "stable" in sources.list)

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 09:51:46PM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> writes:
>
> > Okay, potato-users, the time has come! Make sure your sources.list
> > says "potato" instead of "stable", until you intend to actually make
> > the switch to woody. The release is official and the symlink has
> > moved.
>
> Congratulations everyone on the new distribution and I look forward to
> using woody.
>
> One quick question, though, how do you recommend someone upgrading the
> distribution if she only has a limited amount of disk-space in /var?

Find space in disk :)  How much disk space left?

> I'd like to upgrade my laptop with a 2G hdd but my /var partition only
> has about 200 Megs available. I was thinking about mounting
> /var/cache/apt/archives via NFS but then realized that the link may be
> shut down during the upgrade. Any ideas or should I just stay with
> potato?

Nay...  It will be slow.

Why not use apt and dselect in combination?

# vi /etc/sources.list # fix all entries :)
# apt-get update
# apt-get install apt
# apt-get clean
# apt-get install ssh libc6 libdb2
# apt-get clean
... repeat following by installing small portion
# dselect update
# dselect select  # HOLD large packages but select what you need
# dselect install
# dselect clean

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.