Re: Is there an implementation of Active Directory in Linux or Unix's

<quote who="Armenteros Roberto">
> Today in the company I work for "windows based comany"
> I was challenged about whether any Unix system was
> able to provide Directory Services "just like those of
> microsoft - which they took from Netware". They claim
> that's a feature Windows offers, which is more
> advanced than any other equivalent unix solution. What
> would be the unix way to accomplish this task?

being that Novell NDS has been available on Unix for
years i would say 'they' don't know what they are talking
about.

http://www.novell.com/products/edirectory/sysreqs.html

and while not as elegant, but really quite useful
is Openldap tied with samba or samba-tng. i am
working on such a solution to replace my last
NT server.(2 NT servers on a network of 40 servers)

> Also, they claim that in the future windows is going
> to take over on the server side as well. Do you guys
> doubt that linux "or unix in general" is going to be
> able to keep up with the rate at which windows is
> getting more popular in both client and server side? I
> just dont want to be forced to use windows in the
> future...that would be like being in jail...

i think the opposite is true. and i would ask if
MS is going to be able to keep up at the rate at
which linux is getting more popular at both client
and server. the past few years, linux server growth
has skyrocketed, to the point where it is almost
on par with Win32(lasttime i saw the numbers) they
were both in the 30-35% range. But even numbers
are not fair. It is not uncommon for a single
Linux or Unix server to do the tasks of several
win32 servers, maybe a dozen even. So market share
is very hard to judge. The most extreme example i
can think of is the S/390, with IBM able to run
up to 10,000 copies of linux on it simultaneously,
do you count that as 1 server(it is, 1 physical
piece of equipment), or 10,000 individual servers?
how do you compare market share with others with
systems such as that ?

i don't want to start a flame war, so i won't continue
in this thread, but next time you talk to them
show them this article:
http://www.varbusiness.com/file/36355.html

where steve ballmer, the head of MS says and i
quote:
""We have prided ourselves on always being the
cheapest guy on the block--we were going to be
higher volume and lower priced than anybody else
out there" [..]
 "One issue we have now, a unique competitor, is
Linux. We haven't figured out how to be lower priced
than Linux. For us as a company, we're going through
a whole new world of thinking."

even MS admits they cannot compete with linux when
it comes to price, and in this economy, at least
everything i have seen, price is king. i am certain
these words that ballmer says will haunt him for years
to come.

i used to think like those people your dealing
with back in the early/mid 90s, i was very gung
ho MS, i am ashamed to admit. then i found linux,
and over the years it has grown on me and has more
then completely reversed my thoughs on the future.

nate