Re: Is there an implementation of Active Directory in Linux or Unix's

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:19:12AM -0700, Armenteros Roberto wrote:
| Today in the company I work for "windows based comany"
| I was challenged about whether any Unix system was
| able to provide Directory Services "just like those of
| microsoft - which they took from Netware". They claim
| that's a feature Windows offers, which is more
| advanced than any other equivalent unix solution. What
| would be the unix way to accomplish this task?

The protocol AD implements (or claims to, I don't know about the
quality) is called LDAP.  The Free implementation is OpenLDAP (package
'slapd').  You can have UNIX systems connect to AD using OpenLDAP's
client library, or you can have Windows machine connect to OpenLDAP
for the data storage.  Microsoft still hasn't come up with something
new.

LDAP can be used as a backend for login and mail data (and other
stuff).  For login, see the pam_ldap and libnss_ldap libraries.  A few
google searches on the web will turn up howtos and stuff on migrating
to it.  For mail, read your MTA's docs.  I have a config for exim to
pull routing data from LDAP and am just waiting for my boss to have
some time so we can install it (and replace sendmail).

| Also, they claim that in the future windows is going
| to take over on the server side as well. Do you guys
| doubt that linux "or unix in general" is going to be
| able to keep up with the rate at which windows is
| getting more popular in both client and server side?

I didn't see windows getting more popular.  I see more and more people
realizing how many defects it has.

-D

--
> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0