Re: Why bother partitioning?

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:13:07 -0700 (PDT) madmac madmac
<madmac134@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am a big fan of partitioned filesystems, but more
> from a stability perspective.  If /var or /tmp or /
> gets filled, the system can stop functioning . . .  if
> they are on a single partition, if anything happens to
> fill any of those filesystems, all of the filesystem
> is full and every app that depends on spool or scratch
> space will fail.  If you bust it up, if a process lets
> /var get filled, processes that need space on /tmp or
> / aren't effected . . . .

Quite true.  I've found that a variety of tools stored temporary files in
the /var branch.  One that jumps to mind is Ximian's Red Carpet.  Anyway,
over the last year or so, I've come to use the following basic
partitioning for my systems (most single drive units):

/boot     ~20-50 Meg
<swap>    256 Meg - 2 Gig
/var/log  ~150 Meg
/	  up to 5 Gig

That covers most of my smaller drive systems.  For systems with a drive
larger than the above partitions, I normally break off /home to be the
remainder of the drive up to about ~20 Gig.

In my experience, I've never come close to needing either 5 Gig for my
root partition, or 150 Meg for my logs on a behaving system.  However with
the logs essentially quaranteened, I don't have to worry about a runaway
log taking out a system.

--
Jamin W. Collins