Re: Why bother partitioning?

> Suppose that you didn't partition as the
> instructions recommend and had
> just one large / partition with all the usual file
> systems in place.   Couldn't you make backups of
> critical file systems
> just as if they were on their partitions?   And,
> couldn't you then
> restore file systems just as described in the
> instructions?

Yes, you could.

But corruptions usually affect:

1.  The files on one partition

2.  The partitions on on disk-device

If you have a single-drive system, and you suffer a
corruption/failure that effect all the partitions on
your single-drive system, you are out of luck.

But if the corruption/failure effected only one
partition, then you might actually still have a
functioning system, and could restore the portion of
the filesystem residing on that partition from tape
without having to find boot media, build a system,
etc. and then restore from scratch.

I am a big fan of partitioned filesystems, but more
from a stability perspective.  If /var or /tmp or /
gets filled, the system can stop functioning . . .  if
they are on a single partition, if anything happens to
fill any of those filesystems, all of the filesystem
is full and every app that depends on spool or scratch
space will fail.  If you bust it up, if a process lets
/var get filled, processes that need space on /tmp or
/ aren't effected . . . .

madmac