Re: OT: How to find a modem that works with Linux...

On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 21:23, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:06:46PM +1000, Chris Kenrick wrote:
[snip]
> My perspective/opinion :
>     1)  external modem is "real" and complete, not "win"
>     2)  ISA modems were all (or mostly) made before the "win" craze
>     3)  PCI modems -- look for the word "win" in the
>         packaging/documentation or mention of specific drivers or
>         windows operating systems.
>
> I actually have never had a PCI modem.  All the modems I have are
> either external or ISA, and only some have even been tried in linux
> (and those that were tried worked perfectly -- it's just a serial port
> after all).

I had an PCI Sportster 28.8 modem for a long time, and it worked
great.  Of course, it was ~USD80, and I looked all over the box
for any hint that it was a "win" modem, and then saw "it works with
Linux", and bought it.  (And this was when I still used NT4.  I
wanted the CPU for myself, not the modem...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |