Re: HDD vs. RAID (was Re: Lilo Q)

On 2002.06.10 05:48 Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 03:46, Alvin Oga wrote:

> - and if the drives gonna fail... i say its more likely to die
>   within the first 30 days ...

Yes. MTBF only measures how likely it is to fail during the middle of
its life.

A good number die early (defective) and late (worn out). Not many die
in
the middle. That's what MTBF measures.

I was speaking of the MTBF of RAID-0 where any one disk death means
the
whole array is gone.

> 	- what's the likelyhood of 2 drives that fail ...
> 	rendering the raid subsystem to be just blank disks..

Not much. Especially if you replace the failed disk promptly, or have
spare.

> 	( hopefully one can rest a little better after the first
disk
> 	( dies... or is more of the same fate to happen to the rest
of
> 	( the disks ...

Neither. Unless the failure was due to the environment (e.g., running
disks at 120 degress in a paint can shaker), having one fail makes
others neither more likely nor less likely to fail.

> - i still prefer 1 large disks.. instead of many small ones...

If you have many small disks and one fails, you are OK, as long as you
used RAID 1 or RAID 4/5. You can replace the one failed disk.

If your one large disk fails, you're down until you restore from
backups.

So, the way I'm reading this, a RAID 5 stack w/ 5 20 GB hard drives provides improved access speed and reliability at the cost of slightly reduced storage. An earlier thread was making reference to setting up seperate controllers for each HDD. I have seen adverts for stand-alone RAID towers. Would the use of one of these towers do away with the need for seperate controllers, and if so do these towers support IDE or just SCSI?

Thanx for all the input.  I'm finding all of this info very interesting!

Ian