Re: Home Networking

> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 12:32, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up my Debian machine as a gateway to the outside
network,
> > with (for now) one windows machine going through it via a hub (Linksys
> > router). I've followed instructions for both Debian and Redhat to set it
up,
> > but after I followed all the instructions, restart networking on Linux
and
> > restart the machine on windows (both with dhcp and assigned address), I
get
> > no ping from windows to the linux IP. Is there somebody who can help me
out
> > with this, to find out where my problem is? I'll send files or whatever
> > other information there is, just name it if you can help. I want to make
it
> > clear that I tried for a few days with no success, and am now making a
plea
> > to the Debian community.
>
> Lets start with the static addressing. What IP/Netmasks did you use?
> What did you set the gateway as? What is the topology? Debian <-->
> linksys hub <--> windows. What is on the other side of the debian box? A
> modem? Another ethernet? Give as much info as you can and you'll have so
> much help you wont know which way to turn ;)

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces setup:
###
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static # This is my university network (ethernet)
    address x.x.x.54
    netmask 255.255.254.0
    network x.x.x.0
    broadcast x.x.x.255
    gateway x.x.x.1

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static # This is my internal network, see diagram below
    address 192.168.1.1
    network 192.168.1.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
###

Here is how my internal network is set up. All cables are the same, that
were purchased from the university store:

[outside network jack] ---- [linux: eth0]
                                          [linux: eth1]
                                                  |            [Linksys
EtherFast 5-port Workgroup Hub]

[Windows]

Hope this is enough information. :) Any more, just make the request and
it'll be given.