Re: Bandwidth Monitor

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:19:45PM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Can the SNMP tools deal with this (packages snmp and snmpd)?

Only insofar as they provide a method to gather the data.  You still
have to collect, collate, and interpret the data.  As someone else
mentioned, cricket is a great way to do this.

I wrote some cricket scripts which assist in collecting traffic,
memory, and CPU stats from the proc filesystem.  Unfortunately my web
server is down due to some restructuring at work - I'll find a place
to post those.  Since they use info from /proc, you don't need the
overhead of an snmp daemon.

The one thing my scripts didn't do was deal well with discontinuities,
like you get when there's a reboot or some other "catastrophic" event.

Regards,

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship