Re: Re[2]: Bandwidth Monitor

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:53:43 -0700, Alan Poulton wrote:

>Tuesday, April 09, 2002, 1:14:48 PM, Shawn McMahon wrote:
>
>> ifconfig will show you that.  It's cumulative, so either take the
>> interface down and up before you want to start, or write down the
>> numbers.
>
>Hmm... two questions. Do the numbers reset when the system is booted? My
>guess is yes.  And does it give Bytes transmitted/received, or just the
>sheer number of packets?

Yes to the first.  Both to the second, and segregated between sent and
received.

>If the numbers are reset when the system is booted, it won't work. I
>might not remember to write down the numbers if I have to reboot for
>some reason.

This from a non-hacker:

	1.  Wouldn't a cron job, say hourly, cover you?  Have a script call
ifconfig and extract the data to a log.  Your number crunchers could
have a field day with all that info :-)

	2.  Have the same script called on shutdown.

Keep in mind that I may be exhibiting my ignorance, but reading this
list tells me that anything and everything can be done with the right
script.

--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,