Re: HAS Galeon UI changed?

on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Patrick Kirk (patrick@kirks.net) wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 10:35, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Patrick Kirk (patrick@kirks.net) wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> [snip]
> >
> >    Settings => Preferences => Advanced => Crash Recovery.
>
> Nope.  that option has gome in version 1.2

You're right.  See attached.

I've responded, should show shortly in archives ;-)

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   The best damned coffee on the planet:
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 05:13:46PM +0000, chris wrote:
> It seems that the ability to stop crash recovery has gone awol,
> which is REALLY REALLY annoying! every single time i load galeon i
> get that dialog pop up, and i relaly couldn't care less that it
> crashed (as i normally just run 'poweroff' under X to close the
> system downm, so galeon thinks it's crashed when i did it on
> purpose. also the --disable-crash-dialog argument seems to have no
> effect at all. I *think* it worked the first time, but since then
> it's had no effect at all.

The --disable-crash-dialog option is actually a standard GNOME option,
rather than a Galeon-specific one.  It refers to the bug-buddy dialog
that pops up when a GNOME application crashes, not the Galeon crash
recovery dialog.

Assuming you have OAF working properly, you can modify your shutdown
script to run "galeon -q".  This will tell Galeon to exit cleanly.

If you insist on not shutting down Galeon properly, you can fool it
into not showing the crash recovery dialog by modifying the galeon
shell script so it runs

gconftool -u /apps/galeon/Advanced/Crash/crashed

before starting Galeon. :)

Daniel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:47:30AM +0000, Chris Phillips wrote:
> > The --disable-crash-dialog option is actually a standard GNOME
> > option, rather than a Galeon-specific one.  It refers to the
> > bug-buddy dialog that pops up when a GNOME application crashes,
> > not the Galeon crash recovery dialog.
> >
> > Assuming you have OAF working properly, you can modify your
> > shutdown script to run "galeon -q".  This will tell Galeon to exit
> > cleanly.
> >
> > If you insist on not shutting down Galeon properly, you can fool
> > it into not showing the crash recovery dialog by modifying the
> > galeon shell script so it runs
> >
> > gconftool -u /apps/galeon/Advanced/Crash/crashed
>
> ok, that works, great. But WHY can't you just set that option in
> settings like it used to be possible? i don't really see the
> benefit(?) of removing this option.

... because we got into a big flamewar about the preferences window a
while back and ended up removing most of the silly options that didn't
make much sense. :)

I'm going to look into how easy it would be to trap the TERM signal so
we can shut down cleanly; if this isn't possible, I'll add a command
line option to disable the crash recovery dialog, if the other devs
are okay with this.

Daniel