Re: Fwd: Re: where are the woody iso files?

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 16:15, Jerry T wrote:

> I tried installing Debian 2.2-r5 but my nvidia driver wasn't supported. I
> was hoping that woody would include the driver. I've been through the
> installation process (2.2-r5) a few times but it always hangs up towards the
> end when trying to access the video card .
>
> I have downloaded the nvidia tar.gz driver file. If woody doesn't contain my
> video driver, I was going to get Debian running in text mode and then
> install the driver and configure my video from there. As a newbie, I would
> prefer not to go down that road if there is an easier way.

If you can live without hardware accelerated 3D, then the nv driver in
XFree86 4.1 is perfectly sufficient.

If you want accelerated 3D, you'll need to use the nvidia-glx and
nvidia-kernel-src packages in non-free - you have to build a kernel
module.

I did this in conjunction with the 2.4.18 kernel source and
kernel-package - the command line looked like this:

make-kpkg --added_modules nvidia-kernel-1.0.2802 kernel_image modules.

(your version number may change - check /usr/src/modules)

I then installed the resultant .deb file with "dpkg -i" to get a new
kernel.

Last thing you have to do is edit your /etc/XF86Config-4: where it says

Driver "nv"

you need to say

Driver "nvidia"

And away you go!