G'day - Intro (longish) - and need some help down here ...

G'day

I'm new to DEBIAN and need some help/pointer on how to get some sort of X session going. xstart doesn't work.

I'm running W2KProf on a COMPAQ Armada E500 and managed to load DEBIAN from CD (got The advanced linux POCKETBOOK from Australian Personal Computing). Yes I know I should use something easier but the 'non-advanced' edition was stolen a few weeks ago - exactly one day after I installed Mandrake! Doh!

Anyway, I now have Debian installed and I managed to reinstall the MBR from a Win2K CD so I can boot that again and keep my job - it's a wok PC u c!

So, I now managed to edit (using ee thank you so much) the lilo.conf file and can now boot either Win2KProf or Debian.

So far so good. Now to my question/need of help:

I can log in at a character session (as root) but startx fails to start as there is no config file. I had problems during the install with any X type modules (XFree86?). I don't (didn't) know the Laptop settings, hardware etc.

Found a few pages that now tell me what it is but how do I now go about installing/setting up some sort of X session provider?

Hardware Details:
COMPAQ Armada E500
128MB RAM
single CPU

>From another site I found (google is cool) I think this may apply:

14" TFT screen 1024x768
PS/2 touchpad
Lucent Winmodem
Intel 440 BX chipset

Apparently I'm to use XFree86 3.3.6 (or higher) and ther is some talk about SuSE tool - whatever that is?

Anyway if anyone can drop me a line on how to proceed from here would be much appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the long intro.

TIA,
/[:-)irK
PS: That sig isn't supposed to translate into any fancy pic either!
DIRK aka DearK